When trees die or need removal for other reasons, there is no need to have an unsightly stump in your yard. Martin’s Tree Service operators use a state-of-the-art machine for stump grinding to peel away the remaining layers of the tree so you can reclaim your lawn space. Homeowners may decide to keep the leftover wood chippings because there are creative uses for this material. If you plan to use them in your garden, the first step is to prepare the grindings.
Make Some Mulch
Producing mulch from stump chippings is a straightforward process. It is also a great way to save some money because buying enough mulch to do landscaping projects can be expensive. This provides a means to add curb appeal and insulate soil and plants with wood pieces you already have on hand. You will need a rake, wheelbarrow and shovel to get started.
Here is the five-step process to prepare your garden mulch:
- Use a rake to gather the chips in a pile.
- Shovel them into the wheelbarrow and try to avoid mixing in too much soil.
- Sift through the pile and pick out grass but keep usable leaves and pine needles.
- Spread the mulch around your plants in even layers but not too high. A depth of three inches for smaller plants and six inches for larger ones is best. To prevent decay and infestations, do not put wood chippings directly against a plant.
- If plants stop growing or foliage decreases, the wood chips are likely causing nitrogen deficiency as they decay. Purchase high-nitrogen fertilizer and apply it to correct the problem.
This provides a good way to recycle a stump and give your garden some seasonal protection.
Design a Creative Footpath
Stump chippings create wonderful landscape designs. Homeowners can use this wood to construct a walkway with a warm and welcoming texture that gives a unique look to their property. Both family members and visitors will appreciate this feature.
Get innovative by adding borders and paving stones using the chips as filler. This is a great way to have a designated walking space free of weeds and easy to replenish when the chips get compressed or decompose.
Use As Landscape Filler
Other smart uses for chips include applying as a landscape filler on areas that need sprucing up around the house. These simple ways to beautify your space can make a big difference.
- Cover muddy areas: Low spots in a yard that become puddles can detract from the look of your lawn. You can fill them in, add plants and decorations or make them a safer place to walk.
- Spread in raised garden beds: Use chips in your garden to not only help the soil but also to give the beds an orderly and groomed look. Take some extra chips and make a path around the beds to add a neat appearance.
- Disperse around playset areas: Ground cover improves the look of a play area that gets worn down by frequent activity.
Multiple uses for wood chips make it worthwhile to repurpose them as filler or design material.
Hire a Professional Tree Service
It is important to hire a professional tree service for all of your planting, pruning and removal jobs. Stump grinding is a multi-stage process that requires patient and steady effort to make sure the job is done well and the area is suitable for use again.
At Martin’s Tree Service, our operators are trained to use the latest equipment and technology so you can rest assured the job is completed safely and efficiently. Our goal is to preserve the lasting beauty of your trees, and our team has built a reputation for delivering quality residential and commercial tree services to our customers. Learn more about our expert tree work.