Prune the Deadwood
Fall Pruning Tips
The best advice is to hire a professional tree pruning service as you know that they will do the job properly but if you insist on doing it yourself or if you are interested in pruning then do yourself (and your trees) a favour and learn how to prune correctly.
- An arborist or tree pruning service can give you advice and teach you how to prune your trees in the fall.
- If you are going to do your own pruning, you need to invest in quality tools and buy robust pruners, a small saw, and an extendable pole pruner to get started.
- Look after your tools and keep them clean to prevent the spread of diseases. Rub your tools down with a disinfectant solution between cuts.
- Always be safety conscious and invest in all the necessary safety equipment, including safety glasses, gloves, and sturdy work boots.
Other Fall Jobs
To help your trees remain healthy during the winter, you need to apply a slow-release fertilizer during the fall to ensure that your trees have all the nutrients they need to remain strong and cope with the threat of diseases, stress, and pests when the weather turns nasty.
- If necessary, cable and brace your trees to ensure that they can withstand the harsh winter storms and the added weight of ice and heavy snowfalls.
- Mulch your trees to insulate the roots and help the soil retain moisture and organic matter.
- Make sure your trees are well hydrated and give them a good watering in the fall.
- Treat your trees with anti-desiccants to coat the upper and lower foliage of evergreens in a protective wax coating to reduce moisture loss.
Call the Professional
Small trees are not difficult to prune if you know what you want to achieve and have some experience. It is easy to remove those wayward twigs and water sprouts with a good pair of pruners. If you have a rudimentary knowledge of plant growth you will be able to master basic pruning skills but pruning large trees is more demanding. You need the right equipment to work high up in the tree canopy and cut out big branches. Unless you are an experienced arborist, you really should leave the pruning of large trees to an expert tree pruning service.
Good pruning is part art and part science and takes time to perfect. While it is something that you can do yourself, it is not always advisable and usually, it is better to get your trees pruned properly by a professional service, like Martin’s Tree Service. We have the experience, expertise, tools and safety equipment to prune your trees correctly and keep them healthy throughout the winter.